Thursday, July 07, 2005

Protong Sama Dia

The recent debacle revolving around Proton is somewhat of a joke. The fledging 20-year-old company has been spoon-fed under the protective bosom of the goverment for so long, it's gone two decades without a spine. Harping on continual technology progression and innovation is meaningless when it is coupled with repeated usage of old vehicle molds and stiffling import taxes on all other cars, and don't even get me started on APs. To highlight a few few releases, reflect upon the R3, will ya? The RM70K you're imparting is basically going towards a Satria GTI with little more than insignificant facelifts and better seats. An even more chuckle-inducing reply would be that of Proton's response as to why the Savvy does not come shipped with ABS and air bags as standard eq. Loosely quoted, they remarked "We've increased the body strength of the Savvy so much so that air bags and ABS isn't as important. We work from ground up, so body strength takes precedence." Great, so in the event of a crash, the car will survive, not you. I would really like to get into the spirit of things and show a little patriotism for a change, but if I were to just reflect upon things as a simpleton, it all boils down to import taxes to me. When you take out hundred thousand Ringgit cars for review each month like I do, it becomes apparent how much we're all taken for a ride. A Volkswagen Golf GTI would normally cost as much as a Civic Type-R, but a visit to the local distri would have you forking out RM221K. Sure, there's trillions of other factors I've conveniently failed to mention which account for the price differential, but when it boils down to the consumer, I couldn't care less. I guess it all boils down to dissapointment. I'm dissapointed at the fact that my paycheck only allows me to get a Proton car. I'm dissapointed that Proton still produces rubbish cars after two decades of government protection. Most of all, I'm dissapointed that I am hopelessly unable to afford a Golf GTI, a smashingly spectacular car. I'd even settle for an Impreza TS at this point, to be honest.
|

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a place just like that vw corrado

10/19/2005 05:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also check out 2006 jetta tdi

10/19/2005 06:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop by and have a look at golf driver

10/20/2005 06:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started a volkswagen turbo diesel blog

10/20/2005 07:06:00 AM  
Anonymous ingrown hair said...

Hi Kel, Out surfing for information on staph & happened upon your site. While Protong Sama Dia wasn't exactly spot on, it did strike a note with me. Thank you for the really good read.

11/26/2005 05:38:00 AM  
Anonymous carbuncles said...

Hi there Kel, I had been out looking for some new information on carbuncle when I found your site and Protong Sama Dia. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.

12/02/2005 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home